Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Climbing

Today I had a special day. I got to meet a friend whom I hadn't seen in about 17 years and I got to do a little rock climbing. It sure sounds awful that I have friends from so far in time that almoust 20 years! I don't feel any older that in my twenties.

Anyway last time I have rock climbed was in my youth when I visited Siperia, Krasnojarsk. My parents use to help ingrian people living in Russia (ingrians are related to Finns) at those times. They got to know a world champion in rock climbing who was also ingrian. They helped her and her family to move to Finland. So we get into the rock climbing circles in Russia and twice they invited me to their rock climbing paradice in Krasnojarsk.

Those trips to Krasnojarsk were very interesting and enjoyed them a lot. Both times we went to the surrounding wilderness to climb on the rock pilars back there. We stayed in cottage that situated on one of the pilars in the height of 40 meters. The little cottage situated in a cave of the pilar which grew straight from the ground to the heights. It was a scary place but I liked it. We stayed there for 3 to 4 days. Climbing was easy because I had three generations of world champions helping me all the time. This time was different!

I climbed indoors this time. It was different but still very enjoyable. At first I was little afraid of the height but I got use to it pretty quickly. I also realized how good excersice it was. After taking two routes I was sweaty all over. I had to give up climbing after three and half routes. But it gave me hunger for more! I recommend everyone to try rock climbing at least once in a lifetime. In Helsinki you can do it at the sport center of Tapanila. find out more: www.kiipeilykeskus.fi

It sure was good to meet an old friend too. With that special friend of mine I good look back the many summers when we were on kantele camp in Ilomantsi. Kantele is our national instrument. We had such a good time on those camps and I still love kantele music. It would be so great to take my own girls to the kantele camp in Ilomantsi and pass on that heritage to them too.

Read about kantele in here: http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=27002

By the way has any of you watch world champioships in athletics in Helsinki? Helsinki is the capital of Finland. I've enjoyed the international athmosphere it has brought to our capital.

No comments: