Saturday, August 20, 2005

At allotment garden in Oulu


When we were in Oulu for my grandmother's birthday we stayed at the allotment garden cottage of my aunt and her husband. I've always enjoyed that place a lot! Here on the left is the picture of that cottage.









Here you can see the yard of the cottage. On the right there is a little playhouse and at the back is a neighbours cottage. Picture has been taken from the stairs.

My Aunt and her husband grow black currant, red currant, raspberry, gooseberry and strawberry and some other things at their yard. I'm a berry lover so I enjoyed the berries a lot. Joonas and Viivi enjoyed picking them a lot. It's such an adventure for town children to get in touch with a little "farming". When I was a child we also had currants at our yard and I miss the chance to just go and eat them straight from the bushes.

The thing the kids loved the most at the cottage was the giant trampoline! I think they were jumping there all the time even after the birthday party untill midnight! Very good excercise. I could do it for ten minutes and get exhausted.







The other thing the kids loved (especially Joonas) wa a little bond with real fish in it. Joonas would catch them with a net bag and them put them back. Here you can see him in action. Now you can have a better look of the playhouse too.


This is the porch ofthe cottage. I really love the way how it's furnished. You can find many old things in the cottage. It gives the place a certain athmosphere which I like a lot.


Here is a cupboard from the cottage. The lowest shelf is for the girls to play with little teddy bears.


The allotment garden is situated on the river and that was a special treat for me. As I've grown up on the lake I love swimming a lot. That is one thing I miss the most of my childhood to be able to swim when ever you felt like it. Well, on winter time it was a little difficult because of the thick ice on it. Sometimes my father would make whole in it for us to "swim" on winter time too.

Anyway I really made the most of the river. I took a morning-swim, a day-swim and an evening-swim. Joonas and Viivi enjoyed swimming too but normally gave up before me. At the allotment cottage there is a common building near the river. There are saunas for men and women which they heat three times a week during the summer and twice a week in winter time. When the saunas weren't heated you could go and take a shower anyway there. Near this beach there was a play ground for children too. So in total it was the best kind of a place to stay with kids for couple of days. At least I enjoyed it a lot!

In the last picture you can see my mother (on left) and her two sisters. The one in the middle is the one who owns the allotment garden cottage.


No comments: