Monday, September 26, 2005

Saturday at the opera


Last Saturday I got to spend the afternoon and the evening at the national opera of Finland. First we toured there. It's always very interesting to get a chanche to peep into places like a big opera house. there's just so much going on in there. I had never realized that there are over 20 men working with the set pieces. It looked like a group of ants walking all over. I guess everyone knew what to do and when to do it. I was also fasinated by all the beautiful costumes in the dressing rooms.

Then we had lecture of the nights opera Bellini's Norma, about national opera's coming season and we got to meet one of the opera singers of the night. It was the first time I saw the Norma and I loved the music! Well everytime I go to opera I seem to fall in love with the opera of the night. Anyway I really enjoyed it and even had a little pit of tears at the end.

My newest hobby at the opera is to read the text in English. I have to admit that far too often I had to check the meaning of the phrase in Finnish. Well, the opera text is mostly poetry and i should probably start reading English poems to get into that world of English language. Any suggestions where to start?

I was early at the national opera and i had some time to wonder around. It was a very beautiful and warm fall day so I loved walking around the park. Here are some pictures for you to enjoy. I think the Töölönlahti is one of the most beautiful places at the downtown of Helsinki.



Maple is my favourite tree mostly because of the colours it gets on fall. I used to have a big maple just outside of my window at my childhood home. On falltime we would throw the leaves around jump into piles of the leaves etc. That maple doesn't exist any more but fortunately I was able to enjoy this one right beside the opera house.

3 comments:

Saija said...

lovely pictures ... :o) ... there are many maples here in Canada ... why it's even on our flag!!! *chuckle* ...

Lord bless your week!

Maiju said...

It certainly would be nice to visit Canada in fall time and see all the maples!

Peanut's Mom said...

thank you for the fall photos of töölönlahti - it was also one of my favorite places in helsinki and when we lived close by, i used to walk around it as much as possible. Fall in Dallas is not as colorful :-) actually, I think its quite hard to tell that its fall at all by looking at the nature. but, the crispness of the mornings, chill inthe evenings and lower hanging sun remind me of the time of year.