Sunday, October 02, 2005

In the middle of nowhere - still just 30 minutes away from Helsinki downtown





Last weekend we spent a night in small cottage with my sister's family. My sister's husband gets to hire the cabin through his work and we've been there several times. It's situated close to a conservation area so the place is peaceful and the landscape is wonderful as you can see.

Children like the place a lot too. Even though they can't swim there (the only down side of the place) because of the shallow and muddy bed of the sea they enjoy the water in many ways. They throw stones into it, feed the fish etc. Sometimes we go rowing on a boat. We didn't do that this time.
Almost everything happens outside. The food is made there too on an open fire. That's a special treat for us who can't normally do that in town. I love the fire and would love to get a fire place at home some day. I could stare at the fire for ages...

On summertime we even eat outdoors but at this time of the year we decided to eat indoors.














After dinner we went t sauna. It was already dark. It was so nice to go outside to cool off a little and see all the stars. There was no worrying that someone might see us there all naked. We had sauna turns for women and men. The sauna is heated with wood which is the only real way of doing it. The heat is smoother and moisture that way.
The next day we got company. Juha's cousin Jaana and her son Jonni came for a visit. They stayed there for the next night. Jonni is 3 years old and Juha's sponsor child. He is cutie
So on lunch we had a full house. I love that! I would love to have many children and I always enjoy the small ones around me. Well, it was a noisy lunch because the cousins had so much to tell everyone.


Jonna is peeking out of the door. She is still wearing a pyjamas at noon because she loves to read and that's what she did all morning.

Viivi in her sleeping back. She really loved to play with the sleeping back. She would hop around with it, roll in it etc.





Miska is a happy fellow. He will turn 4 in November.

Joonas is five. It was almost impossible to get a picture of him. He was busy doing his own stuff all the time and his so quick in his movements.






Here is my beloved husband - the modern Viking!

And his wife...












10 comments:

Saija said...

awww, brought back memories ... i loved visiting Finland in September ... my family lives near a national park, so there is the beauty all around ... some of my cousins rent cottages like the one you were at, through their work too ... looks like you had a wonderfully relaxing time ... :o) i almost felt like i was at the table with you all!

Maiju said...

You are wellcome to join our table next time you visit Finland! When have you been here for the last time?

Saija said...

i was in Finland 3 years ago ... 2002 (September) ... i have lots of aunts, uncles, cousins over there ... and they visit Canada as well - so we keep in touch ... my feet are definitely planted in 2 countries! and thank you for the invitation ... :o)

Hindsfeet said...

Maiju, that is beautiful! My brother-in-law spent summers in Finland growing up (his dad lived there, his mom in the U.S.), and I have a friend who goes there every year, but I've never had the pleasure of visiting myself. Thank you for giving us a little visit. It looks so wonderfully peaceful!

Maiju said...

Saija,

What part of Finland do your relatives live? Is there a lot of Finns around you in Canada?

Hind's feet,

thank you! If you ever happen to come to Finland I'm more than willing to be your tour quide. Finland is very dear to me and I'm always proud to show it to foreigners. I've done that quite often.

Even though I love my own country one of the best years of my life i spent in Greeley, Colorado. I would also love to move abroad for a while. Let's see if that ever happens...

Saija said...

my family lives around the Tampere/Parkano area ... my dad was the only one who came to Canada from his side - but half of my mom's side moved to Canada once we got here ... :o) ... there aren't too many finns in Manitoba ... but there certainly are in Thunder Bay, Sudbury and Sault Ste Marie ...

Dale's Gmail said...

Hi there Maiju, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on wood working bed plan I ended up on your page. Obviously your site is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for wood working bed plan. Should the need ever arise where you need information on wood working bed plan then drop by for a look.

Dale's Gmail said...

Hi Maiju, I found your blog informative. While out blog surfing today for specific info on wood working clamps, I ended up on your page. Your site shows that I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by. I will bookmark your site for a future visit, and should you ever need it, there is plenty of information on this site about wood working clamps.

Dale's Gmail said...

Hi Maiju, I was out blog surfing looking for some info on dewalt wood working tool when I ended up on your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but your topic caught my eye. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for dewalt wood working tool. I am going to
bookmark your site for future reference and reading. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about dewalt wood working tool at the site above.

Dale's Gmail said...

Hi Maiju, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on wood working hobby I somehow ended up on your page. As your In the middle of nowhere - still just 30 minutes away from Helsinki downtown is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about wood working hobby, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.