Monday, July 30, 2007

Imatra

Imatra is a South Carelian town about forty kilometers (half-an-hours ride) away from Lappeenranta where we live. We have lived in Imatra for three years. Actually my first job as a teachers was in Imatra and also my first assignment as a music class teacher. We have very dear memories from Imatra and we liked living in Imatra. During this year when we've lived in Lappeenranta we have visited Imatra several times and actually Juha's office has a offive over there too. Imatra never dissappoints us!


Imatra's biggest sight is the one in a picture: Imatrankoski rapids. It's actually the oldest tourist sight in Finland. Already in 1772 the Russian empress Catherine the Great visited Imatra in order to see the rapids. Powerplant was built in 1929 and that's why the channel is dry like this mot of the time. During the summer the dam is opened every might at seven o'clock for 20 minutes. It's a powerful and very impressive! I've seen it many, many, many times but I never get bordered to that!

We went to see the show in July with Juha's cousin Jaana and her son Jonni (in the picture with Viivi) and we weren't the only ones! Can you see how crowded the bridge is?







Can you see the cable wire? People were sliding on it to the other side. It looked scary! I would like to be brave enough to do it myself but I think I might chicken out!



Along the river banks of Imatrankoski there is a park called Kruununpuisto (two last pictures from the park). It was established in 1842. There are sightseeing pavilions, dozens of giant's cauldrons, signatures engraved in the rock by visitors, magnificent ‘Jugendstil' Hotel Imatran Valtionhotelli (the first picture), the power plant and Imatra's summer teather in the park area. This year the summer teather is having a play called Kruununpuisto. It tells about life in the beginning of 20th century in Imatra. I went to see it with Jonna and we both enjoyed it. Jonna mainly because there was a real horse in a play! This was my last post about South Carelia. We'll be moving the day after tomorrow and my mind will be focusing on the move and settling back to Vantaa. I'm glad I've got to know South Carelia, beautiful piece of Finland, but I'm happy to get back to the capita area!


3 comments:

Mari said...

I hope your move goes well. I have really enjoyed your pictures. Finland is a beautiful country!

Saija said...

leo and i were at the castle your first picture shows - and we saw the ravine (tho' it was empty at the time) ... and then there was this beautiful lake that had swans in it ... i remember loving Imatra! thank you for the good memories these pictures evoked ...

hope you settle in quickly back in your home ... blessings on you!!

Maiju said...

Mari,

I agree Finland is a beautiful country. Our move went well. Now we are trying to survive living with boxes...

Saija,

I'm glad you have warm memories of Imatra. So have we. Now the circle of our life in South Carelia has closed and it's nice to have fond memories from there.

Settling has started. Still plenty to do but it's also exciting. Juha has a hand surgery tomorrow. Pray with me that everything will go fine.