Sunday, July 22, 2007

Kärnäkoski

We visited Kärnäkoski today. It's in Savitaipale about 50 km from Lappeenranta. It's an old fortress from the 18th century. We like the area a lot. We found it already in March and were amazed how no one had told us about it.
The fortress is a rather large area at the mouth of the Kärnäjoki River. It was built by the Russians. The Russians needed it against Swedes, Finland didn't exist then yet. There were never figths between Russians and Swedes in Kärnäkoski fortress but during the Finnish Civil War, several battles took place in the area.
Well, I'm not so interested in the history. I just enjoy the athmosphere of the old places. Juha gets his imagination running in places like this.

This picture I took in March. It gives a better perspective on the area.

These sheeps are on the area to take care of the maintenance, clearing of the bush growth. I guess there just aren't enough of them while the grass is rather long and sometimes makes it even hard to walk on the walls. But they are lovely!

The fortress is situated on a very beautiful place as you can see. I wish I would have a little sauna like that on a lake as you can see on a background. Of course the people in front are more important to me: Viivi and Juha.
Jonna and Viivi and the huge birch in the middle of the fortress.



Rigth beside the fortress there is an old flour mill.
And maybe just a kilometer away from Kärnäkoski is Partakoski, another beautiful cultural environment.
By the way word koski at the end of Kärnäkoski and Partakoski means rapids.
On a same trip we stopped by to take pictures of the church in Savitaipale downtown.

It says: The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom (ps.111:10). Amen to that! It should be written in our hearts. So many times we seek wisdom from so wrong resources.

6 comments:

Mari said...

What beautiful pictures! I have really enjoyed looking at all of them. I can see that I would enjoy a trip there!

Maiju said...

Mari,

If you ever have a chance it's worth visiting. i really like the place a lot. Some people came there with their boats. That would be a nice experience!

Unknown said...

I enjoyed reading your blog & the pictures are wonderful. It's fun to see places in other parts of the world. Thanks for posting them.

Maiju said...

Nancy,

I'm happy that people find my blog and read it! I also like looking pictures from all over the world. It's my pleasure to advertise Finland a little pit!

Anonymous said...

Terve!
You make me want to vist Finland. Maybe Saija will come with me to translate, my Finnish isn't that good, I only know a few words. ;)

Little Montreal Girl
Hey would you like to join Pals www.pilgrimpals.blogspot.com

Maiju said...

Montreal girl,

Welcome to Finland! I'll gladly be your guide! And take Saija with you. In Finland you'll manage with English and I'll teach you the necessary words.

I checked the pilgrimpals blog and I enjoyed it. I'll think about joining it after our move. It's hard to find time for blogging as much as I would like to do.