Saturday, January 19, 2008

Madame Butterfly


Yesterday we went to Opera with my husband Juha. I love opera and as a cunning wife I bought two tickets to Madame Butterfly for Juha as a christmas gift. I kind of hoped he would invite me to his companion - and I was right!


The first act was a little bit boring but in all I loved it! The last act was so good and the music so impressing and emotional it brought tears to my eyes. The story is so sad... An American officer buys a young Japanese wife to himself and leaves her in Japan while he goes back home. Three years this young Madame Butterfly waits for her husband to come home so that she could show their son to him and to love her husband only to see how her husband comes back with an American wife! Madame Butterfly is asked to give her son to the father and his new wife in order to get better life for the son. Madame Butterfly agrees to that and kills hershelf after loosing everything that ment something for her - love and the child.


One very interesting thing happened in the opera the man who sang the role of Goro (the matchmaker) lost his voice at he end of the part one. He acted the rest of the opera but there was another man singing his lines on the left side of the stage. I was amazed how well that arrangment worked!


Another thing I followed closely was the role of the child. As a mother I was very touched about the real child on stage and it brought those motherly emotions on surface very strongly and I could understand how bad it must have felt when Butterfly realized that she's going to loose the child too. I guess I need to be very happy that I've been able to keep my children.


Well, it's nice to be back in the capital area and close to our national opera. Once again it didn't fail me.

1 comment:

Saija said...

that is a great idea - to buy your hubby those tickets and then have him take you!

yes, that is a sad story that the opera told ... :o(

i like your previous post too with the green picture and the good quote on there!

blessings!