Wednesday, February 20, 2008

winter holiday

It's been a wonderful winter holiday. Eventually the temperature dropped below zero (Celsius) and the frosty air brought the feeling of winter to us. We've also got some snow and it feels like heaven now after the long, dark and wet "winter". This all can be gone next week but while I'm on winter holidau I can enjoy this with all my heart.

So we've been out a lot as many others. It didn't take long for the fresh snow to get footprints all over - some smaller and some bigger. I just had to take picture of my foot beside this footprint. Someone's got a big foot...


Yesterday we visited Pitkäkoski. It's nature reserve area in Helsinki, about 20 minutes ride away from our home. I like that area a lot. There are nice paths and bridges there to walk. It's one thing I missed in Lappeenranta a lot: Nice walking paths in the middle of forests. There were some but not as big as the central park of Helsinki which has 4 nature reserve areas in it, a lot of jogging tracks, paths and even duckboards (planks). The central park starst from the downtown of Helsinki going all the way to Vantaa. Even tough we visit that park rather often I still would get lost in there without Juha. Here is Pitkäkoski:

Juha and Jonna enjoying the view.

Here some pictures from along the way we walked...



Another day we visited Haltiala which is another nature reserve area in the central park of Helsinki. It's even closer to our home. I love walking on the planks and there I can do that!

One thing I like on the nature reserves is the funny looking trees.

Viivi enjoying trees...
Now it's my turn...

At the end of the walk we enjoyed this scenery were sun painted the near by neighbourhood with gold.


One thing one just must do when there is enough snow is to go sliding. Very close to our home is a nice hill and that's where we headed today. It was worth it!

Well, we keep on enjoying our winter as long as it takes. I hope you'll enjoy yours!


5 comments:

Mari said...

You go to the best places. These are beautiful pictures!

Maiju said...

Thank you! It's been such a lousy winter here so I've enjoyed these past few days a lot!

Saija said...

i haven't visited finland in winter ... only spring, summer and early fall ... the pics you posted are lovely ... and very similar to Canada ... i guess that is why there are so many finns in thunder bay and in the west coast as well ... :o)

enjoy your time ... and thank you for your encouragement ... big ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

I saw YOU when I saw Jonna. Yes, I saw you back when we met. Wow how beautiful time passes, and we are blessed to leave such a legacy!

Your sledding pictures made me want snow! I really enjoyed all the nature pics too!

Ang

Felisol said...

Dear Maiju,
passed by your blog early this morning, and had a wonderful time with you and your family in Finland.

The snow picture bring forth inner pictures of a happy outdoor childhood.
here by the coast we've had three periods of snow this winter each lasting two days, with only a 2 centimeter tick layer.

I do prefer snow in December/January when the days are short and the landscape sinister.

In April we're celebrating spring, buds on the birch trees and leaves sprung on the shad bush.

Loved the tiger cat, the candles and of course Madame Butterfly.
What a clever way to get an invitation.
I'll have to try that out on my hubby once!
From Felisol