Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Tunne kieleni - tseba leleme la ka - know my language

This is one product of the friendship school project between Arethabeng school and Mikkola school. This is book has been made by storycrafting first grade pupils in Mikkola school and in Arethabeng school. In storycrafting a child (or a teenager, adult, etc.) tells a story, someone else writes it down. Then the child hears her story and then she can make changes if she wants. Simple! All the stories of this book are in Finnish, English and North Sotho (the language of Arethabeng school). Some of the stories have been told by an immigrant pupil here in Finland. Those stories are aso in their mother tongue. So the book is multilingual.

I really like the book. You can hear children's voice in it. If you compare the stories made in South Africa and stories made in Finland you will find differences. South Africans tend to tell about their every day life as Finns tell a story more often. Also the places they tell about are different. In comparison you will also find similarities. Boys play with cars and girls get happy of the new doll - no matter where you are.

Some of the stories have violence, some tell about fears, some are representations of every day life, some are cute little stories about friendship, some tell about unfareness of life some tell about how you can find compromise in life. It's a very many-sided book and it tells me that children see this life much better than we adults think they do. We should listen children more carefully in order to understand life in itself. Storycrafting is a wonderful method for that.




All the pictures of the book have been made by children. If you got interested about the book: Tunne kieleni - tseba leleme la ka - know my language, go an read it in thislink! I would love to hear what is your favourite story.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Thanks you for leaving a comment on my post about my Beer Stein man. I'm so glad to know you :o)

This book is so interesting. One of the things blogging is teaching me is how very much alike we all are, and yet with our individual differences that makes it so fun and interesting.

I'd be honored for you to come back by my blog and sign my Guest Book.
Susan

Mrs. Mac said...

Thanks for stopping by my "This New House" site ... my main blog is called "Whatever Happened To ... ", but decided since we were building a new house would photo journal the adventure ... what a journey! Do you work with special needs children? I have a young son with Down syndrome that challenges and blesses our family at the same time :) Your daughers are beautiful ...

Maiju said...

mrs mac,

I was working with pupils of normal classes with small learning problems this year. helping them to survive in a normal class room. The school I worked has also classes for children with special needs autistics, down children etc. I thaught music for one autistic group and I loved it! I don't have competence for working with autistic pupils so I was nervous at first but it was very rewarding! I loved it!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! And your camp looked fun, um with the um, ah, fish guts. ;) Hee hee!

I put all the Flat Stanley writings and pics in Word Document and will print and put them in the Flat Stanley book. I have not told you that we laughed and laughed and laughed SO HARD about it! You are so funny! Great writer! I think Stanley will want to visit you again!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say it was ME-Ang.

Maiju said...

Hi Ang!

Yes, Stnaley must come and visit us in our new home back in Vantaa. We move in the beginning of August.

You should try story crafting with your children. It's a wonderful method and easy to do. Advice for that you will find in that book Tunne kieleni - know my languae...

Blessed summer to you all!