Sunday, April 29, 2007

Hämmäauteensuo

Today we went camping for the afternoon. We had heard about a swamp that is on nature reserve. It's called Hämmäauteensuo. There is also a place to make fire or even stay over night. Not a cabin but a little shelter. Swamps are very common in Finland. As a child we visited them rather often while there are lots and lots of swamps in Ilomantsi where I grew up. I've always loved walking on duckboard! I don't know why but I do. So we get to walk on those.



I also love the fire. It's also a sign of summer when you get to eat sausages made on open fire. So that's what we did.






4 comments:

Saija said...

the planks i see for walking on ... those reminded me of our trip to finland and the planks around this little lake where we went fishing ... and the makara on the fire! mmmmmm ...

i miss Suomi ... !!!!

Maiju said...

Saija,

thanks for helping me with the language. My dictionary isn't always giving me the words that are accurate. So planks they are. :)

Today we've got snow on the ground. :(

Welcome to Finland! I will offer you nuotiomakkaraa!

Anonymous said...

very interesting, the girls look...hmmm..enthused? Thanks for visiting my blog, I'll be back

Maiju said...

Ba doozie,

yes, our girls love it out in the woods. After the long and dark winter it's so good to be out and enjoying the warmth and the ligth.