Friday, July 07, 2006

Camp school in Ilomantsi

On May I took my class to camp school in Ilomantsi. It was a wonderful, unforgetable week. I really enjoyed myself over there. It was so good to be in childhood scenery and culture. Many people still recognized me and I had an opportunity to change news with many people. I also think that Ilomantsi is an unique place which has a lot to offer for a visitor: Carelian culture, beautiful landscapes, war history, frontier with Russia etc. It will take me several posts to share that experience with you. Hopefully you'll become convinced that Ilomantsi is worth visiting while it needs all the money that it gets from tourism.

We spent 5 days in Ilomantsi. I had bought the program from a two man's corporation called Erämantsi. I was very pleased with that corporation. First of all those men new everything of Ilomantsi, they had a very good attitude towards children and the program was high quality. They were able to react to our requests very quickly and we were able to get some things we wanted along the way. I also think that it was cheap.

We lodged at the congress center of the local lutheran church called Taivalmaja. The center is made for camps so the facilities were very good. Not fancy but handy. And the landscape!
For all the days we were in Ilomantsi we had good program. You'll here more of them in next posts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maiju, I LOVED seeing this and seeing Ilomantsi! I didn't realize it was in Karelia! (Kariella? How do you spell it again?). I loved swimming in your lake with you in the late 80's! Oh, and chasing the runaway horse on the ice in the winter. :)

Guess who?

Love,
A :)

Maiju said...

Hi A!

Wasn't very hard to guess who you are... :) We had such a good time together with you guys then long long ago!

By the way: Haluatko sinä lumipesun?

It's spelled Karelia.

Would be so nice to meet again!

Maiju