Saturday, April 22, 2006

Fair trade



When I was in Peru I learned one thing. World isn't a fair place and I had accepted it. I'll explain this a little. Many of the people living in slums had a job. The problem was that they were paid half of the minimum wage and they had hard time to try to live with that little money. Many of the women worked in clothing factories. In order to survive they had to work to get at least the little money they got. While it wasn't enough their children had to work too at least few hours a day.

I started thinking that if only they got the minimum wage the situation would be so much better. They would get twice as much money as earlier. I thought that why isn't it happening. Then I realized that we here in western world want to have everything as cheaply as possible. We don't care who makes our stuff, how they make them etc. as long as they are cheap to us! I got mad to myself and for the system. The poor don't have any means to fight for themselves so we take advantages of them.

So what can I do? Not much but I'm trying to make a difference. That's why I've started to use fair trade products as often as I can. I know, they are more expensive but the people who made it possible for me to have them get the salary they earn. I wouldn't work with half a salary of what I should get so why should anyone?

The newest thing you can get through fair trade here in Finland are clothes. You can get them from the store called Reilun Kaupan Tähti. They have their own selection of ethical wear. I bought the blazer and I love it. It's personal, ethical and good looking. It's made in Nepal. The designer of the clothes is Finnish.

Anyway using fair trade products is a way to say that I don't accept the unfair world. I want people to have the same opportunities. I don't want to be indifferent but I'll do my share in changing the world. As long as I can remember those dear moments and lovable children in Peru I'm motivated to pay little extra for products I use!

2 comments:

Saija said...

that is a really great idea! i must look into where we have that in canada ... if we have it in Winnipeg? hmmm ...

about half our family loves to shop in thrift stores ... not that they can't afford regular stuff, it's just that they enjoy that type of used clothing bargain and they enjoy the shopping part of it!

may the Lord bless your big, compassionate heart!

Peanut's Mom said...

Being back in Texas surrounded by Walmarts, Targets and everything else has made us think about this sort of thing frequently. Along with the way these huge retailers can put the small, local shops out of business - which I think is an unfair trade of its own. We try to support our local bakeries, family-owned restaurants, etc by shopping there when we can. We also often did it in Finland when a new place opened by our home.

The good news about a giant retailer like Walmart is that thanks to public pressures they can also make a positive impact with their choices. For instance, they have now started selling more organic foods in their shops which will help fuel the organic industry as a whole as more farmer want to be a Walmart supplier. I hope they can more such decisions about their business practices and suppliers.