Friday, July 07, 2006

hiking in Ilomantsi

(Post number 2 of camp school in Ilomantsi, read previous post to find out more)


Maybe the biggest treasure in Ilomantsi is its forests, lakes, bonds, swamps etc. It seems like there are millions of trees and water all over. When I was a child we made forest picnics every weekend at least once. I've learned to love those woods and lakes of Ilomantsi. So it felt REAL good to be back there.

The first day of the camp took us treking. We walked a part of the route called Taitajan taival. It's about 22 km long but we walked only then kilometers from the camp to the national park of Petkeljärvi. I enjoyed it a lot! The scenery is so beautiful all the way and it was so good to be in a quiet forest and get calm in it. It was hard to think that I was working. I enjoyed it too mcuh. Well, children didn't. Of course the landscape made an impression on them but they thought their teacher is crazy while she demands them to walk so long!! i think that city kids needed that and when they are older they might appericiate the fact that they've had that experience. At least I was able to boost them telling how proud I am of the fact that they made it all the way!

Hopefully you'll calm down with these pictures from Taitajan taival:





On the route there are places to take break. You can light a fire and there might be a dike for you to use too. We took two breaks. On that other place to rest it's possible to be with wheelchair. A local rec-center has special ferry with which they can bring eight persons with their wheel chairs to enjoy the refreshing forest. I think that's very good service!

2 comments:

Peanut's Mom said...

Lucky city-kids! What a treat for them - even if they didn't realize it :-) They will come to appreciate the trip over the years and hopefully return one day.

I still remember many of the field trips we took as kids in school and though at the time it may have been just about getting to go somewhere with your friends, its surprising the things I now know I learned on those outtings.

They give me ideas and inspiration for doing the same with Peanut. So what you've done is really impacted the lives of a few generations...

Maiju said...

Hi Peanut's mom!

I certainly hope that I've been able to offer my pupils lifelong memorable experiences and maybe a hint of knowledge and wisdom with that.

As you know it's easy to do in Ilomantsi. It's such a beautiful place!