Monday, December 05, 2005

Our Independence Day


The 6th of December is the independence day of Finland. We got our independence 88 years ago in 1917. It is very dear to us while we still have about 100 000 war veterans living among us and reminding us what it has taken in order to keep our independence during the second world war. There were three different wars is Finland that time The Winter War (30.11.1939 - 13.3.1940), The Continuation War (26th June 1941 - 5th September 1944) and the Lapland War (15.9.1944- 27.4.1945). As I have told earlier that my grandparents met in war and I wouldn't exist without the war. My father was only three months old when he and his family had to flee the lapland war. So the war still is affecting our lives.


At school we always have a special celebration around the independence Day (the actual day we don't have school, stores are closed etc.). In the morning we gathered around the flag pole. Two pupils lifted the flag and then we sang Siniristilippumme, our flag song, accompanied by three trumpets. In the afternoon we had independence ceremony indoors. It started with the entrance of the flag. Everyone standing and a string band played Sibelius. Then it was the turn of my brass band and we played a song called Blue and White, Sininen ja valkoinen as the colours of our flag. One eigth grader gave a speech the ninth graders performed Nocturne which is one of the most loved poems by Eino Leino. At the end we sang our national hymn, Maamme-laulu. The ceremony was beautiful and solemn, the gymnastic hall was decorated very elecantly and the athmosphere was dignified.


We Finns celebrate our independence burning these blue and white candles, enjoying the day off work, attending some ceremons by war veterans and mostly we watch the big gala from our president's castle from tv (unless you are invited which is a big dream of every little girl - and maybe older one too - in Finland). Among the guest there are of course our parlament, administration, highest government officials, diplomats working in Finland, bunch of famous Finns etc. Of course they are all dressed up very fancy and we normal people get to critisize the costumes or enjoy them. Most of the magazines publish pictures of the guests afterwards. There is even a fashion commentetor present in the castle and he or she explains the dresses and the designers behind the dresses. Now I have to brag that few of the dresses designed by my childhood friend has been in the castle. If she keeps it going maybe she will be invited in herself some day! Marita Huurinainen is one of the top young designers in Finland.


Well when guests in castle wear the modern costumes people in other celebrations wear national costumes if they happen to own one. Here are our vice principal and music teacher in their costumes. Every region has their own kind of costume. I wish some day I can afford to have one too.

Now I'm going to enjoy the blue and white candles, our very own culture in many forms and the very needed day off.

3 comments:

Saija said...

that was a wonderful explanation ... :o)

my godparents, who live about 12 km from me ... are in finland (visiting) ... my uncle was in the war, got hurt - so this year he was able to be with his vet friends and celebrate ... i am so looking forward to hearing his stories ... they come back next week!

blessings to you!

Maggie Ann said...

I have enjoyed reading about your country...wish I had time to read more indepth. I'm smiling as I sit here reading and then typing. It's a nice visit I'm enjoying.

Maiju said...

Saija,
I'm glad you have contacts to you roots and you are able to hear actual stories from our history and nowaday too.

Maggie Ann, I'm proud to present my country to you or anyon interested in it. we are a small country almost in the middle of nowhere but we are also a unique thing in this world. Glad you enjoyed it! :)