Sunday, December 18, 2005

Christmas is coming

Angels and elves have found their way to our home once again! I love Christmas time! In decoration I like using self made little things, nothing fancy. Smaller elves on teh picture have been made by my grandmother and the others are made by some craftsman from Imatra. The christmas angel is a gif from my pupil.

Christmas time means also delicatessen and in order to have those one should either make them or bake them. I prefer baking myself. It's a good way of spending time with children and of course you get the scent of the christmas. In Finland the most common things you bake for christmas are gingersnaps and Finnish Christmas pies. I love the pies. We eat them only in christmas time. There is a picture of me making them and a picture of them already baked here.













Mother's enthusiastic helpers.


One thing is a tradition at our family. We don't make gingerbead house but we make a gingerbread creche. I want to remember and remind others that christmas is a christian event. Here is our creche.


It would be nice to hear what kind of delicacies are been made all over the world. Please, let me know! I will appreciate the recipies too.

Christmas means presents too. I love giving presents. I would love to give everyone selfmade present but I don't have enough time for making them. This year I've knitted few stocks. A Finnish company Novita has created a yarn that has stripes in it. It helps a lot when you don't have to change the yarn in order to get the stripes. So you get good looking stocks easily. Take a look!

There are still 6 more nights till christmas eve which is the biggest of the christmas days here in Finland. So plenty to do still. Blessings to your preparations!


3 comments:

paulusrissanen said...

Merry christmas to you also- sister- what a great blog you have!

Maggie Ann said...

Your baking looks delicious and your stockings look cozy..I really think the angels in the last picture are something special too! I didn't do any baking this year and it was more relaxed for me. We purchased a Happy Birthday Jesus cake and lit the candles on it and had our little 'almost' two year old grandson blow them out after we sang Happy Birthday dear Jesus! It was a precious time. My husband brought home lots of chocolates he received on his job. Usually, I make pizzles...a waffle type cookie baked in a special iron...I'll bet you already are familiar with them. Blessings to you!

Maiju said...

Maggie ann,
I like cooking and wish I would have had time to do it more. These once are so easy because you get to dough readymade from store.

I actually don't know pizzles. Would be nice to know more about those.

Nice idea that birthday cake of Christ. Maybe we'll have it too next year.