Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Knitting


On thing I love in holidays is the time you have to do stuff you don't normally have time to. I like knitting a lot. Now I found a new yarn from Novita called huopanen. The idea of the yarn is that you first knit what you want four times bigger that you want it to be and then you felt it in a washing mashing to the actual size. The outcome is anything but normal. It's thicker, stronger and warmer.

So during the christmas brake I knitted Viivi mittens out of huopanen. This is how the mittens looked before felting them. On background you can see our pet - cat I've knitted myself. Our other pet is around Viivi's neck. The snake is made of old socks. You know how the bottom wears out but the rest stays good. I decided to make those socks useful! Soon I'm going to do another one while we have a pile of old socks once again... I like recycling and making new of old materials! Actually i feel a little bit quilty if I throw something that might be useful to garbage can.

Now you see the mittens felted. Don't they look warm? I would like them to be little softer but Viivi thinks they are just perfect. Well, it was fun to make them and try jumbo knitting needles!

No comments: